A foreigner may import "reasonable quantities" of household goods and personal effects into Myanmar duty free under the following conditions:
- He/she has diplomatic status or works for a legally registered foreign company or business cooperation.
- He/she obtains a letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs verifying his/her diplomatic status or, in the case of a non-diplomat, he/she obtains a valid visa and stay permit from the Ministry of Labor.
If the above criteria are met, only one sea and one air shipment are permitted duty free.
- All foreigners, with the exception of diplomats, must pay duty on consumable items.
- All goods imported duty free by a foreigner must also be re-exported upon his or her eventual departure from Myanmar.
- The shipper must be in Myanmar at the time of clearance.
- All communications equipment, i.e., satellite dishes, fax machines, phones, switchboards, walkie-talkies, short-wave radios, etc., must have individual import permits from the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications prior to arrival. Moving companies are not authorized to represent any shipper in front of this Ministry. It is his or her responsibility to obtain these import permits.
- Any antiques imported should be declared to the Ministry of Information.
- List all electrical items separately, stating brand, model, and serial number.
Goods prohibited from entering Myanmar include:
- Pornographic material
- Gambling instruments
- Subversive literature
Never mix household goods and personal effects with commercial goods. Office furniture, stationary, and office machinery are considered commercial goods.
- Only a diplomat may import a vehicle into Myanmar duty free.
- For all other foreigners, duty will be assessed at approximately 300% of the new value of the vehicle. All autos must be left-hand drive.
Most pets, including dogs, cats, and birds, can be brought into Myanmar with no quarantine period required. The documents necessary at the time of import are a current health certificate (not more than 7 days old) and a current vaccination card.